I hope it's warm and sunny where you are! It was sunny and 80 here a few days ago and now it's rainy and chilly and only supposed to be about 60 the next few days. We are so ready for pool season! My parents have an in ground pool and they are getting it all ready for the next warm day. We can't wait!
As you know I'm one of the 2014 Swimways Swim Team Ambassadors. As part of this select group I will soon start sharing great products from the Swimways brand, but today I want to talk about National Learn to Swim Day.
National Learn to Swim Day is this Saturday, May 17th. In it's 3rd year, it was created to raise awareness about the importance of teaching children to swim which I feel is very important having two little boys.
According to the American Red Cross, drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1-14. I don't care if you are a parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle or a care giver if you are around children in the water whether it be a pool, pond, lake, beach etc... please keep an eye on them at all times and if they don't know how to swim please teach them or find someone who will!
Swimways has a website called www.TeachMeToSwim.com where you can learn more about National Learn to Swim Day. The site also provides you with some great tools and resources to help support you with teaching kids to swim, including swim tips, accomplishment certificates and much more!
Here are some great swimming safety tips:
1. Get your child comfortable in the water at an early age
2. Introduce your child to the water using a baby float designed to help children feel comfortable and build water confidence, like the SwimWays Baby Spring Float
3. Once your child is ready to learn to swim, use a graduated flotation device such as the SwimWays' Swim Steps Power Swimr
4. While you may feel your little one has the skills to swim unassisted, remember it takes a lot of courage to traverse the water without help
5. It's often beneficial for a child to ease into swimming with a little extra support, like a kickboard before taking their first solo strokes
6. National Learn to Swim Day is an opportunity for families to learn about the importance and benefits of learning to swim before Memorial Day Weekend and the start of summer
7. NEVER leave your child unattended in or near the water. Teach children to understand that they must always ask for permission before they go near the water
As a part of the National Learn to Swim Day celebration, SwimWays is hosting a coloring contest. Kids can create their own artistic masterpiece by simply downloading a coloring sheet from TeachMetoSwim.com for the chance to win a pool prize pack, which includes a Swim Steps item, pool toy and Spring Float! Three winners will be selected, and the contest runs through May 31st.
15% COUPON --Just in time for summer fun, SwimWays is offering a 15% off digital coupon on items in the Swim Training category on SwimWays.com. Enter coupon code SWIMSTEPS at check out to receive your discount. Expires 6/30/14.
I can't wait to share some of the great Swimways products with you soon! I hope you have a safe and fun summer and get lots of pool days in! Don't forget to celebrate National Learn to Swim Day this Saturday! After all swimming is an invaluable life skill that will ensure lots of fun in the water and safety too.